Mother Church of Our Lady of Montserrat
The history of the Mother Church, under the patron saint of Our Lady of Montserrat, is confused with the history of the formation of one of the first settlements in the southern region of Baependi. It is reported that in 1715, Tomé Rodrigues, established on the right bank of the river that had been named Baependi, at the place called "Engenho", he raised his large house and next to a simple chapel under the oracle of Our Lady of the Montserrat, where was kept a small image that, according to tradition, had been brought from Madeira Island, Portugal.
Some time later, the first "Chapel of Our Lady of the Montserrat of Baependy" was officially founded. In view of the growth of the population and the development of the parish, the parish is now declared to be of a collective nature in accordance with the Royal Charter of August 2, 1752.
Still little Francisca de Paula de Jesus, who was born in Santo Antônio do Rio das Mortes, São João del-Rei district (MG), arrived in Baependi (MG). She was accompanied by her mother and her brother, Teotonius. Among the few belongings, they brought an image of Our Lady of the Conception.
The "Igrejinha de Nhá Chica", after having undergone some renovations, is today the "Nossa Senhora da Conceição" Sanctuary that welcomes pilgrims from all over Brazil and from different parts of the world. Many faithful who visit the place, ask for graces and pray with faith. So many return to thank and record their graces received. At present, in the "Record of graces of the Shrine", one can read approximately 20,000 graces obtained through the intercession ofNhá Chica.
Church of the Rosary
Church of Our Lady of Good Death
Located in the Argentino Rios Square, the Church of Our Lady of Good Death demonstrates the presence in Baependi of brown men, the descendants of black slaves who, in I 832, founded the Brotherhood of Good Death, whose commitment was formalized in Rio de Janeiro, On September 2, 1815.
The building of the Church, however, would still take years to complete according to the "request of John the Baptist da Mota, on July 28, 1886, with the diocesan dispatch of August 4, I886." In the 1940s, the church underwent a general reform, both internally and externally on the initiative of Father Inácio Kusk.
Espamariado Gamarra Waterfall is located 14 km from the center of Baependi and its access is faciel and fast. On the bank of the river there are large banks of area that form beautiful beaches and a large well 'espraiado' where it is possible to bathe at will. The car to the side of the rapids being easily accessible for all ages.